The 6th ISPAH International Congress on Physical Activity and Public Health marked key milestone in bringing the ISPAH Congress to Asia for the first time and is one of the key global forums on physical activity and public health.
The 6th ISPAH congress aimed to build commitment and networks in advancing a global call for enhancing physical activity across various life spectrums including sport, transport, health, environment, education, culture and economy etc. The congress featured 5 Keynote Sessions, 15 Symposia, 30 Oral Sessions and over 350 poster presentations, walk the talk program and many other important events.
Some of the important highlights of the congress include:
- Endorsement of the Director General of the World Health Organization, Dr. Margaret Chan
- The launch of the 6th ISPAH Congress Bangkok Declaration, a uniting statement from congress delegates and hosts which aims to support global commitments to increase physical activity.
- The Opening Keynote by a Thai senior expert and WHO leaders that addressed the “Global Agenda, Policy and Co-Benefits of Physical Activity.”
- The launch of the “Global Matrix 2.0 Kids Report Cards” which presents the culmination work of the Active Healthy Kids Global Alliance and the assessment in 38 countries of progress on physical activity in children and youth. These countries represent approximately 20% of the world’s countries, 40% of the world’s land mass, and 60% of the world’s population.
- A showcase of the work from more than 140 countries participating in the ISPAH Council “Global Observatory for Physical Activity (Go-PA) Country Cards” which brings together demographic and health data for each country as well as a set of physical activity indicators using a standardized methodology.
- The launch the 1st Global Physical Activity Almanac
- Plenary sessions including
- “Achieving the Multiple Co-Benefits of Active Cities: It Can Be Done”, which explored the nexus between health and urban planning
- “Economic Dimension of Physical Activities in Asia Region”
- “Technology – What Now and What Next?”
In addition to these activities, the congress held various meetings and side events and a high level panel discussion on “The (Invisible) Roles of Physical Activity in Sustainable Development ” as well as ISPAH Council Meetings, the ISPAH AGM and various networking activities coordinated by the ISPAH Early Career Network.